Sunday, December 27, 2009

It's Complicated (2009)

It's Complicated (2009)
Directed by: Nancy Meyers
Production Design by: Jon Hutman
Set Decoration by: Beth Rubino

 
Have you seen it? I haven't yet but plan to this week. Meanwhile, there's a lot of buzz around the movie and the sets (of course). I thought I'd share some links to various excellent posts and articles around the web.


I first posted about the movie here - with photos I gleaned from the first trailers.


 Image via Remodelista

Image via Remodelista
 Over at The Remodelista, they have a couple of excellent "Steal this look" posts. On the kitchen (above)  and the garden (below).

 Image via Remodelista

Image via Remodelista

The New York Times Magazine had an excellent cover story on director Nancy Meyers entitled "Can Anybody Make a Movie for Women?" by Daphne Merkin.

Photo Illustration by Zachary Scott. Prop Stylist: Brandon Klein


 From "What Women Want" with Mel Gibson. Photo: Andrew Cooper/Paramount Pictures. "What Women Want" is the most successful movie directed by a woman - ever.

The LA Times has an article on Ms. Meyer's Perfectionism by Amy Kaufman. I wonder how many major newspapers dedicate column inches to male director's perfectionistic tendencies?


photo by Genaro Molina/LA Times

The LA Times also has a travel article on various movie locations. The story is set in Santa Barbara, however, much of the movie was shot in a sound stage in Brooklyn.




The City of Santa Barbara has even created a website showcasing the various locations used in the movie. There is also a link to download the official production notes from the movie, including an interview with Nancy Meyers and details on the production design.


The December issue of Traditional Home magazine had a nice photo spread from the movie, which you can see here. In the production notes from the movie, Nancy Meyers says that the peachy/orange color that dominates the movie set was inspired by the orangey glow she sees in Santa Barbara, particularly roof tiles and setting sun. A subtle way of imbuing a sense of place into a movie set. It also happens to be a very flattering color on Ms. Streep.




My pal Joni at Cote de Texas has done one of her tour de force posts on several Nancy Meyer's movie sets and comparing them to the director's own home. You can read it here.


Read a Liberty Post/Patti Friday Joint here.




California artist Mitchell Johnson emailed me to share that his painting "Meyreuil" has prominent position over the fireplace in the living room.




You can read all my previous posts on the movies of Nancy Meyers - the "Decorator's Director".  About a year and a half ago, I posted a poll asking readers which was their favorite Nancy Meyer's movie set. Not surprisingly, "Something's Gotta Give" was the winner, edging out close competitor "The Holiday".

So, on the eve of 2010, which is your favorite Nancy Meyer's film - going back nearly two decades.

What is you favorite Nancy Meyers movie set?

Father of the Bride 1 (1991)

Father of the Bride 2 (includes nursery) (1995)

The Parent Trap (1998)

What Women Want (2000)

Something's Gotta Give (2003)

The Holiday(2007)

It's Complicated (2009)





  

pollcode.com free polls

11 comments:

LIBERTY POST EDITOR said...

Linda, That's not fair...asking us which Meyer's movie we loved best...I voted for SGG, but I also love, love, love It's Complicated, The Holiday, WWW...your post is wonderful. I just can't imagine having a kitchen this gorgeous (It's Complicated) and then getting a reno..I guess that was part of the character's needs. The home was so cozy 'in feel' - in particular the scenes with all the girlfriends over.

La Petite Gallery said...

Well, I haven't seen the movie yet. I did like "what women want." I do not like Mel Gibson any more.
I did, but I have changed, also about Tom Cruse. They both do not look good any more.
That Kitchen is a winner. Some garden

Cote de Texas said...

well of course after all the build up, i was a little disappointed!!! not surprising. I'll rent it when it comes out in a few months and probably just love it. but until then, The Holiday rules, but SGG has the best set decor!!!

Joni

FrenchGardenHouse said...

I haven't seen it yet either. SGG's set is still the most fabulous. The decor is so welcoming, warm, and beyond gorgeous. Fun post! thanks.xoxo Lidy

vicki archer said...

I can't wait to see this film and I can't pick which set I like best either....I did love The Parent Trap though...and The Holiday....and Father of the Bride ...and Somethings Got to Give.......Don't ask me...xv

Kerry said...

Well, I've only seen SGG, so I can't really vote. But I do want to ask - I've been searching and seaching for the make of the tufted ottoman from The Holiday. I've seen similar ones and Lee Industries makes some great ones, but not that one! It's the whole package -- the size, the tufting, and that leg! Does anybody know?

FYI: I'm loving your kitchen, Linda!

Linda Merrill said...

Hi Kerry - I've never seen any thing quite like that ottoman either. When I did an original post on The Holiday, I suggested an ottoman from Brocade Home. But, Brocade is not a good option customer service wise these days, so I don't still recommend it. That movie was shot in England, so it could have been from a local shop, or they could have had it custom built. A good upholsterer could build you that ottoman fairly easily enough.

Rdekko said...

That's a typical American kitchen. I like these kitchens so much. We don't use to have this kind in Europe.

Kerry said...

Thank you, Linda, for taking the time to respond!

Fifi Flowers said...

It's Complicated! My movie for the holiday season!
LOVED LOVED LOVED her BAKERY SHOP... you must show photos! Her house was great too!

Lauren said...

HI! I'm new to this blog, and I need help! I'm trying to learn the paint color of the walls in the living room from the movie "It's Complicated." Does anyone know what the brand or color is? My friend just loved it and is desperate to know where she can get it!
Thanks!